Davina Turner was in the CWAC Canadian Women’s Auxiliary Corps as WW2 came to a close. She toured Europe with her band, entertaining the occupying troops stationed in northern Germany. She met her future husband on the troop ship as they returned to Canada. After the war Davina settled into life in postwar Toronto, doing clerical work and raising her family. She continued to follow music and tells us she was a fan of Elvis in the 50s!
We met Davina at the Mount Dennis Legion Hall in Toronto in November 2009. She was interviewed by Crestwood students Amanda Lee and Max Ahn.
Click next video below to keep watching
- 1. Arriving in Postwar Europe; Postwar Conditions
- 2. Memories of the Band
- 3. Life before the War
- 4. The Band and the Accordion
- 5. Favourite Musicians; Singing and Dancing
- 6. Prewar and Wartime Toronto
- 7. Funny Stories
- 8. Sentiments about Germany
- 9. After her Discharge; Working Women
- 10. Meeting her Husband
- 11. Music and Social Life after the War