Israel Cohen is a Survivor from Poland. Mr. Cohen was born is Lodz, Poland. He had two sisters. One was killed in the camps, and the other was murdered by the Polish a few months after the war. At first he was in the Lodz Ghetto, then Auschwitz, and then Kaufering until liberation. After liberation he went to Switzerland, to a treatment center for TB. After meeting his wife in Switzerland, he came to Canada, where he lives now with his family. Mr. Cohen published a book called, Destined to Survive, where he recounts his story of survival.
He was interviewed by Amanda and Michael Lawee in December 2013.
Click next video below to keep watching
- 1. Israel Cohen - Prewar Memories
- 2. Awareness of Hitler; Going into the Ghetto
- 3. Life in the Ghetto; To Kaufering
- 4. The Capo
- 5. The Barracks
- 6. The Potato Farm
- 7. The Potato Farm, Cont.
- 8. Food at the Camps; Back at Kaufering
- 9. Working at the Airfield
- 10. Life at Kaufering
- 11. April 25
- 12. Last Days at Kaufering
- 13. The Americans
- 14. Speaking Yiddish
- 15. Fear and Faith
- 16. Coming to Canada; Holocaust Education